To the bone

Posted on

I’ve just watched ‘to the bone’. It’s a movie about eating disorders, and I really liked it. It was a realistic depiction of what it’s like to struggle with anorexia, and although some parts were hard to watch, it was not harder than what it must be like for those who live with the disorder everyday. The movie shows that sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can climb up again, and I think that rings true for many who seek help with their issues. ‘Ellie’ could not control her condition and came close to death. In other words, the movie was extreme. Many are able to change before they get that deep into water, but there are many ways to die. When we don’t live the life we long for, that’s death too. It’s losing minutes, days, years of our lives.

When anxiety keeps you in the house, when you stop trying, when you withdraw from the world, you starve your soul. Many of my patients live with this every day. They don’t feed themselves with love and compassion. They even blame themselves for not doing what they want, not seeing how hard it is.

Sometimes I think anxiety underlies most of the problems one can have. It drowns courage, it suffocated us. It deprives us of joy, and it covers up our real selves. It’s the opposite of moving towards something, it stifles us. But fear is not dangerous. It can’t really harm us if we remember that it will pass. We must remember how great it is to conquer fear. When you’ve hit rock bottom and climb up again, the view is even more spectacular.

So are you ready to look into your mirror? Look fear in the eye, truly  face it? You are stronger than you think, and when you look beyond fear, there is beauty and life.

7 thoughts on “To the bone

manyofus1980 said:
    July 21, 2017 at 22:17

is this a new movie? or has it been out a while? sound like it would be something i’d like to see! x

July 22, 2017 at 05:44

It’s on Netflix, and its from 2017. Keanu reeves is in it, and I am sure you wouldn’t be disappointed. But, it might be triggering for those you struggle with eating disorders, due to some very graphic scenes.

manyofus1980 said:
        July 22, 2017 at 08:27

Thanks, I’ll look into it

Barb Knowles said:
    August 2, 2017 at 10:50

I really liked this movie as well. I would say “loved” it, but it was hard hitting and thought provoking and in your face. But in a delicate way if that makes sense. I know a fair amount about eating disorders, but this showed the inside pain and viewpoint and it is very powerful.

August 2, 2017 at 21:14

I absolutely agree with you! Do you have any other recommendations for movies/books about eating disorders (or other disorders as well?)

Barb Knowles said:
        August 2, 2017 at 21:16

Not off the top of my head. Beautiful Mind of course. But for eating disorders I’ll ask the health teacher I work with. I thought this movie was very powerful. I saw it twice and I don’t usually.

Barb Knowles said:
        August 2, 2017 at 21:19

I had seen an interview with the screenwriter/producer. It is loosely based on her own story. They had professionals in and made changes based on their feedback. Some criticism is that the movie will teach new “tricks.” Consensus was universal that people with the disorder know all the tricks. What they did take out was how much the girl weighed at different points. That was a recommendation so they never mentioned pounds. I thought that was interesting. And it was the interview that prompted me to watch the film.