Video of therapy with an abused, enraged girl. Part 2

Posted on Updated on

This is a bit scary and unpleasant to watch, but demonstrates how abuse can influence children. You see video clips of therapy sessions with a girl who was herself abused and neglected by her father. She was adopted together with her brother, and started to hurt and molest him. The parents had to lock the doors at night, so that she couldn`t hurt him, or them. She tells, in a chilly, flat voice, how she wants to stab them. My heart bleeds for all the children out there who had to endure trauma, some while they were at their most vulnerable.

Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment
Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

7 thoughts on “Video of therapy with an abused, enraged girl. Part 2

Carrie Lange said:
    June 8, 2013 at 14:45

I watched all three videos, how sad, it breaks my heart. I wonder how she is doing today.

June 8, 2013 at 15:26

I know 😦 I would also like to know how she is, hopefully much better. The last video gives hope, and today there are better methods for healing, than earlier 🙂

Ashana M said:
    June 8, 2013 at 20:11

I suspect emotions are partly learned–much like language. We are born with an innate capacity to learn to feel and express a wide variety of emotions, but if we lack opportunities to learn that, we don’t. And, like language, there are crucial periods for developing it. What we may be left with if we miss opportunities to develop a full range of emotions during crucial periods are left with very primitive ones: perhaps only rage and pleasure.

June 9, 2013 at 11:41

Interesting thought, which might have something to it, reminds me of a book called Dana’s story, also a neglected girl who Is adopted and eventually learn a lot of social things. Gives hope, but scary when one thinks about all the children who grow up with some kind of bad parenting!

Hope Happens said:
    June 10, 2013 at 02:07

Like Carrie, I would be very curious to know how she and her family are today, 20+ years later. At the time this was recorded there were some very controversial methods of “re-attachment” therapy. The film doesn’t specify which type of therapy was used with Beth, but I think it would be enlightening and helpful to know because this problem has certainly not disappeared.

Lest I sound too clinical, though, what a gut-wrenching and heartbreaking story. Sadly, it’s not unique. I think this issue is easy for some to dismiss or minimize and it’s only through seeing the true, tragic consequences that people are educated. Thanks for sharing this, and much appreciation to the courageous family who shared their story.

Monica

brokenbutbeingrepaired said:
    June 10, 2013 at 08:41

These videos really hit me hard. There are some ethical concerns I hold over such a vulnerable childs therapy being recorded which makes me pretty uncomfortable.
    I hope that her life is now a safe, happy one (aswell as her brother and adoptive parents).

Thank you for sharing.

June 10, 2013 at 13:37

I would also love to know how it`s going. Have not found more information:(

This is unfortunately still the truth for many children today (in our 21 first century, one should believe we would have come further). I hope that seeing it might help more people to understand how negative growing up with abuse, can be. And to help if its possible (if you hear shouting and fighting by the neighbors, report it. Its better to be safe, than sorry!)